
Today my friend Jayne came over and we took Clover and Xaile for a hack. The weather was not encouraging- heavy showers and strong winds but they're both sensible boys so we went ahead with it. Though it does have to be said it was Xaile's first hack since coming home and the first time I've taken him near traffic.
As Jeff has my dressage saddle I had to ride in the Portuguese saddle. As he's not had it on for a week or so I thought I'd give him a quick spin on the lunge before getting on. Not a bad idea as he had a few bucks in him! So once he'd has his whoopee I got on. With assistance it had to be said. I really have no idea how people hop elegantly into these Portuguese saddles, I have to lever myself in the cantle is so high. Once on we did about 5 mins quick schooling, mainly canter circles with flying changes this time, which, following our simple changes were (thank goodness) somewhat less exuberant.

Then Jayne and Clover and Xaile and I headed out onto the road. We had a lovely hack, the boys behaved beautifully given the weather, only one serious spook at the combination of black bins and a horse galloping around a field. I have to say I was astonished at how far Xaile can get his quarters under him when he wants to. I thought he was going to sit down.
Clover was his normal silly self spooking at nothing yet being saintly about huge lorries. Talking of which 3 enormous lorries, 2 buses and a tractor and almost nothing phased Xaile. The only thing that slightly upset his equilibrium was when one of the lorry drivers let out his air brakes just as we were right by the lorry which caused

him to jump and me to shout at the driver! We had a nice trot up a few hills- excellent for my tummy muscles as you can't rise in this
saddle.
Do you get the impression that someone is getting a little bored of having a camera stuck in his face?

he's being very good, then!
ReplyDeleteWhat a good boy! Love the "so very handsome" comment! Exactly how I feel about my little Luso!
ReplyDelete