Monday, 30 March 2009

29th March Xaile learns a Lesson

I've been having problems getting Xaile to stand still for me to get on.  I'm rather stiff and clumsy at getting on.  He just takes one step back every time I go to put my foot in the stirrup.  He's totally fine if there's someone to stand by his head but there's not always someone there to do that.  So today I gave him a chance and he did it again so I got a schooling whip and when he stepped back he got a tap on the bottom and he stepped forward looking rather surprised.  So I tried again and he stepped back again so another tap.  This time he looked somewhat cross and stepped forward.  I tried again and he stepped back and another tap.  This time he stood beautifully for me to get on so he got lots of scratches and cuddles and praise.  I got off and on again and he didn't try to move.

I then let him have his few circuits of happy floaty canter till he felt in a mood to work.  Then we worked on trotting.  I was horrified to see my awful leg position in my father's photographs so I concentrated hard on my straight line head-hip-heal.  Meanwhile I worked on getting him to carry his head a little lower and relaxed.  We also worked hard on going straight across the diagonal and down the centre line.  The first few attempts at straight across the diagonal were awful he swung his quarters round everywhere but after a few attempts we'd worked out what each other meant and he went beautifully.  I'm not entirely certain how but I seem to have managed to spend about 3/4 hour doing this.  Time flies when you're riding Xaile.

I spent a few minutes on Spanish walk which was great with just the right leg on the right rein and less good with just the left leg on the left rein.  However it was really good with both legs on the left rein and we couldn't get both legs at all on the right rein.  I suppose this is because he finds the right leg easier. 

Then he got turned out to spend the rest of the afternoon enjoying the sun.  I think he's put weight on.  I hope so anyway.


1 comment:

  1. spanish walk being the treat for both of you after a session of hard work, then? it is fun! i've only done it once...probably won't again for a long time!

    ReplyDelete