Wednesday, 18 March 2009

17th March. Home and Dramas

What a day. I woke up feeling rather ill- cough and sore throat- so rather nervous about driving box down to Hampshire to collect Xaile. However the drive down was uneventful, and after lunch we let Xaile out into the school for a quick play. He had a wonderful time. It was a good opportunity for a photoshoot.














Susan and I then took the boys for a hack on the forest and Xaile could not have behaved much better. They were doing controlled burning and we had to pass within meters of the fire and he didn't bat an eyelid. We had a wonderful canter which we all enjoyed. We had to pass some pigs and again no problem. The only little issue we had was with a little water filled ditch that we were meant to walk through and instead did flying leap over. I was unfortunately riding in my Portuguese saddle which you may remember has a rather prominent pommel. Well I landed firmly on the pommel on my right thigh- result a rather spectacular bruise.

When we got back to Susan's yard I realised I was running rather late so quickly got him ready for the journey home and packed up my lorry. Xaile, being the star he is walked straight onto my little lorry.

The journey went very smoothly till we got about 10 mins from home and going round a round about I had difficultly changing gear. Going up the next hill I went to change down gear and the lorry refused to give me any gear at all. We glided to a halt at the side of the road.

I picked up my mobile to ring the yard to get someone to come and help to find that my mobile battery was dead (I was rather tired when I got home on Monday and must have forgotten to put it on to charge). I flagged down a motorist and they very kindly lent me their mobile that let me ring my husband who contacted my wonderful livery yard, and the yard owner came out to rescue Xaile. Meanwhile I rang the NFU to come and get the lorry.

 

They both took rather a long time to arrive so I waited in the back with Xaile, who was being remarkably brave about everything. I stood and pulled hay out of his haynet for him. I'm not sure he'd ever come across one before as he hadn't eaten any till I showed him how to pull it out. We stood chatting for about an hour which was actually a great bonding session. As long as I was there he ate happilly, but when I left to check whether anyone was coming he became a little anxious.

 

Xaile then again proved what a wonderful horse he is by walking calmly off my lorry and onto the yard managers trailer. I felt awful watching him drive off as I had to stay with my lorry as the recovery driver had to take me to my car.

 

We quickly got to my car and unloaded the tack from my lorry into it and I was off to check how Xaile was. I needn't have worried. He was happily tucking into his tea quite calm in his stable.

 

1 comment:

  1. WOW. what a stunner.

    and another blog to follow..... :-)

    ReplyDelete