Wednesday, 18 March 2009

Thursday 12th March. THE DAY HE ARRIVED

I don't think I have ever looked forward to a day so much as Thursday 12th March.  I drove everyone mad by counting the days for about 2 months and then the hours for the last week!

I was to pick Freddie up at Heathrow and we were going to drive down to Hampshire and Al Kingston where Xaile was to be delivered.  The theory was that we'd meet the transporter in Ringwood then show him the way to Susan's.  But the best laid plans and all that...  Freddie's plane was about 40 mins late and the transporter was about an hour early.  The result was that we hadn't even left Heathrow when we got a call from the transporter to say that he was nearly there.  We rang Susan to explain the situation and very kindly she went to find the transporter. 

So by the time we got there he was already in his stable.  I was rather sad not to seem him unloaded, or even see the lorry.  But what was important was that he was there and just as lovely and sweet as I had remembered.  He was a little thinner as he'd lost a bit of weight being gelded and a bit through the journey.  But it was wonderful to see him.   
Lusitanos are the sort of horse that needs to be doing things to keep their minds active, they're a bit like collies, they need a job.  So after lunch we tacked him up and took him for a short ride to stretch his legs.  I couldn't get over how incredibly well he behaved.  We even had a little canter and popped over a few little ditches and he showed that he could open gates.  I felt safe enough to take an 'ears picture'.

Then he was tucked back into his stable to wait for supper.
I can't get over what an amazing job Freddie did finding him for me.  I have absolutely no idea how he did it, but Xaile really is the perfect horse for me.  I went to bed so incredibly happy with my new boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment