Monday, 4 May 2009

Saturday 2nd May Ooooooops!!


Well Saturday was interesting.  I had two lessons with Edward.  The first was on Xaile and the second a lunge lesson on Clover horse.

Xaile started very tense.  He had Friday off waiting for the farrier so had a whole load of pent up energy.  We walked on a loose rein for ages encouraging him to stretch and look for the contact.  Something he finds very alien and probably rather scary after his firm Portuguese upbringing.  When we were both happier with his walk I asked for a trot transition.  You may have noticed in earlier videos that he tends to leap into trot.  We decided to tackle that a bit today and after several attempts at the transitions we got through to him what we wanted.  

We then worked on his trot.  We started on the left rein which he finds infinitely more difficult.  He started by falling in dreadfully through his shoulders, to the extent that I couldn't get him near the track.  But with a firm inside leg and a constant wide and low contact I eventually got him soft and straight.  We then worked on the right rein which was a relief for both of us and he went beautifully.  

We then worked simillarly on a smooth transition to canter and then maintaining his straightness in canter. Again easier said than done.

We then had a breather an let him walk on a loose rein. I was really pleased that he was keen to stretch and take the contact.  Edward and I were chatting about transporters and what a shame it was he lost so much condition on the journey when Xaile clipped a hoof on the fence and scared himself and spooked.  I wasn't concentrating and lost my balance (not something I do normally) this frightened him even more and off I came.  I have rarely felt so stupid.  And it really frightened poor Xaile who practically leapt into Edward's arms.  I picked myself off and dusted the sand off and got back on very embarrased at myself.  I discovered my left hand was a bit sore, I'd hit it on the fence on the way down. 


Anyway we continued the lesson along the same lines, concentrating on keeping him soft and above all straight.  

He is such a pleasure to work with and everyday is better than the day before.  I do love him so.  


A friend was there and very kindly  videoed.  Sadly we ran out of memory after about the first 1/4 and she hadn't taken very much.  Also takes him about 1/2hr to warm up.  But hopefully you'll see some improvement.


Untacked him and tacked up Clover for the lunge torture.  Also got a couple of paracetemol as my hand was a bit sore.  Also found I couldn't get my glove back on.  But as Edward said- 'You don't need you hand for a lunge lesson'!!!!

I then realised that I hadn't put my stirrups back on after my last lunge lesson.  E wouldn't let me go and get one so I had to clamber onto 16.3 of Clover off the fence- far from elegant.  Edward had noticed that I was blocking Xaile in the left rein as I don't turn enough that way.  So he worked very hard on that- well he shouted lots and I tried very hard!  We also worked a lot on losening my hips and getting my legs back.  It was so hard- I can do it at walk but at trot it's like there's elastuc pulling them forwards.  We worked on one at a time but it was ver hard. Towards the end of the lesson he said 'roll your leg back' and I did- a moment of enlightenment!!! I finally may have worked out what was wrong.  It remains to be seen, but I may have made a break through.

This morning my hand was still very swollen so after much umming and ahhing I finally decided to get it checked out.  Turns out it's broken. ARGHHHHH! Just when everything is going so well. 
   I feel sooooooooo stupid as it was entirely my fault.  However it is well strapped and I think I'll be ok to ride in a couple of days.

2 comments:

  1. Poor you! (Hand that is!!) Everything else very positive! And your legs look better even before your lunge lesson breakthrough! Zeffy also leaps into trot (a Luso thing?) What did E have you do to get a smoother transition? (Lost sound on my PC at the mo!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!

    He made me make sure that he was completely soft and straight before asking. He also made us do it over and over again till it was totally smooth. So the first transition was a jumpy one so straight back to walk. The second one was the same- walk again, the third one was much smoother but still jumpy. When eventually he did a smooth one (only a couple more attempts) he got tons of praise and we did some trot work. Then we tried again and it was much quicker to get a smooth transition. By the end of the lesson he wasn't even thinking of leaping into trot. I'll see what he's like today.

    ReplyDelete