This lesson was a contrast with last week's as I was expecting it to go badly as we'd not had the greatest week, and actually Xaile went very sweetly.
We've decided that we are not ready to do too much forwards work yet as he needs to be more balanced in the collected work first to enable him to lengthen his stride. So if I need to do more forward work don't do too much and try not to let him rush or push him too forwards and therfore out of balance.
I've noticed during the week that on the left rein Xaile finds it easier to be round and soft when I rise on the wrong diagonal. Marcia says that this is because he is weaker on the near fore / off hind diagonal. I think this maybe because he has a slightly thickened tendon on his off hind. So the plan is to work on the wrong diagonal till he is soft and the change diagonals, then change back again to the wrong one. Extending the length of time on the correct diagonal till he finds it easier.
![]() |
| Flexing to the outside |
![]() |
| bringind gently back to straight |
We then did lots of flexing to the outside. I must remember to keep enough contact on the inside rein. This helps him to balance. Don't flex too much, if he's struggling and tightening through his back then ask for less. When he is soft to the outisde gently bring him back to straight, then flex to the inside. Again not forgetting the contact on the outside this time. Do this until I have an even contact in both hands that he is happy to accept and take forwards - a mirrored contact. Then change the rein and repeat. If he bends his neck from the base rather than his whole body around my leg then put him on a smaller circle and leg yeild out of it.
Canter. Work in sitting trot for a while first so that he doesn't tense because he is expecting canter when I take up sitting trot. Prepare him for the canter transition by using the outside leg a bit before the transition. Only ask for the transition when his neck is down and going down, not coming back up. Bring him onto a 10m circle to help if necessary. Use the outside leg in canter to increase the jump in canter. On the left rein don't abandon the inside rein as it helps him balance.
![]() |
| Getting it wrong |
![]() |
| A better trot to ask for canter from |
![]() |
![]() |
Stretching. Ask him to bring his nose in a little and poll down, then leg on to take the nose out and down further. This makes him stretch properly over his back with a longer more swinging stride.

















No comments:
Post a Comment