Monday, 20 May 2013

17th May - What a perverse horse

Well I don't think Xaile will ever be predictable.  I asked both Bento and Marcia whether to use a double or snaffle.  Bento said double and Marcia snaffle.  My gut instict was snaffle, but as he'd had a day off I went with the double.  Wrong choice according to Xaile.

I took ages to get him to settle, and even then he was far from great.  He just wouldn't concentrate, head tilting, fussing, spooking etc.  He'd do a couple of lovely strides then lean on my right hand.  I've learnt that if he feels like he's asking to stretch and you allow him to his next move is to throw his head in the air.  And I also think he now should be stretching when I think it's time, not just because he wants to, so I'm trying very hard to get out of the habit of allowing him to stretch whenever he wants.

Anyway we weren't having fun at all.  And I was struggling to keep my temper with him.  I was wondering if I'd ever get him to settle again if I went back down to the yard to get his snaffle, when I thought that I might as well jus knot his curb rein and ride off the snaffle.  Success.  Happy realxed light boy.  I simply don't understand him.

No comments:

Post a Comment