Monday, 27 May 2013

27th May I've been asking too much too soon....

Doh!

Poor Xaile. If I'd thought about it I'd have realised that I'm asking Xaile to do things I've never truly asked him to do before using muscles he's probably not used for years. And I'm expecting him to do it easily and consistently for extended periods.  How totally unreasonable of me.

It went really well today because I didn't ask for much. But I did try to make sure that the little bits I asked for were as good as they could be.

I also realise he has very little faith in my left hand.  So I concentrated incredibly hard on keeping a still firm contact that's always there to push him into.   I've also been telling him how very good he is whenever I get a good contact in my left hand.

When we got it right for a few steps, with enough leg from me his steps lengthened and lightened noticeably. When it was an even contact, but not enough leg from me his front feet hit the ground much harder.

When I let him have his final stretch I think it was the best walk he has produced so far and he even halted with his neck soft on a long rein.

No comments:

Post a Comment