21st July
Well the myler is doing well. My back was a bit sore again yesterday after riding on Sunday so I only lunged Xaile. This time however I did use side reins to remind him that he was working and not sightseeing. Again I worked a lot on transitions as I feel through working him longer and lower than he was in Portugal I am getting him a bit on the forehand. He isn't too bad a competitions when he's all lit up but at home when things are a bit more boring he is a little. So I had him doing lots of transitions both between paces and within paces. I think I haven't been getting an active enough trot out of him when lunging up to now. This time, because of the transitions he was a lot more active and so his strides were a bit longer and he was moving more lightly.
One thing that does puzzle me a little but I think it may be relevant to the rest of our work as well. Whatever the length of the side reins, even if they're seriously long and loopy he always holds himself more together than if they're not there, yet he never has a contact with them. It's as if he just hovers behind the contact. I don't know if this makes sense? It doesn't make him over bend because I'd never have them on that tight in the first place. But it does concern me that he's probably not working correctly. On the positive side he's using his back much more than when he first arrived and his trot now involves his whole body not just he legs. The myler has made him much happier to take a contact when I'm riding but doesn't seem to have made as much difference on the lunge as I'd hoped. It is better, but not as much as I'd expected.
Oh and someone's coming to look at Clover this afternoon and I'm terrified, I think they'd be perfect for him (I've done my research on them) and I really want them to like him.
AND! Poor Obelisco is being gelded this evening and I'm even more worried about that. I can't wait to get the phone call that says he's OK . Hopefully getting somewhere with his transport though.
One thing that does puzzle me a little but I think it may be relevant to the rest of our work as well. Whatever the length of the side reins, even if they're seriously long and loopy he always holds himself more together than if they're not there, yet he never has a contact with them. It's as if he just hovers behind the contact. I don't know if this makes sense? It doesn't make him over bend because I'd never have them on that tight in the first place. But it does concern me that he's probably not working correctly. On the positive side he's using his back much more than when he first arrived and his trot now involves his whole body not just he legs. The myler has made him much happier to take a contact when I'm riding but doesn't seem to have made as much difference on the lunge as I'd hoped. It is better, but not as much as I'd expected.
Oh and someone's coming to look at Clover this afternoon and I'm terrified, I think they'd be perfect for him (I've done my research on them) and I really want them to like him.
AND! Poor Obelisco is being gelded this evening and I'm even more worried about that. I can't wait to get the phone call that says he's OK . Hopefully getting somewhere with his transport though.
22nd July
No news on Obelisco, the vet had an emergency last night so couldn't do it. Meant to be happening today but not heard anything yet.
I wasn't totally keen on the woman who came to see Clover yesterday, long story but she didn't even ride him but still wants to come back for a hack on him on Friday.
Xaile- well as ever Xaile makes the world a better place to be. I'm getting a bit wary of riding in front of our resident dressage trainer. He's very German in his out look and likes a lot more contact than I do and isn't afraid to tell me that he doesn't think an awful lot of my riding and this is not doing alot for my fragile confidence. In fact today when I saw him come out to teach in the school I almost went home without riding. But I love riding Xaile too much for that and I can't allow myself to be that pathetic.
So I got Xaile ready and lunged him till they were gone. He worked nicely but a little lacking in activity. I really wanted to get behind him and chase him a bit but I was being watched. As soon as they were gone I got on.
At first he was quite resistant. He was hanging on to the right side of the bit again, but after lots of transitions and lots of difference sized circles and changes of rein I got some nice work out of him and felt him soften and work his back. I love my horse.
I wasn't totally keen on the woman who came to see Clover yesterday, long story but she didn't even ride him but still wants to come back for a hack on him on Friday.
Xaile- well as ever Xaile makes the world a better place to be. I'm getting a bit wary of riding in front of our resident dressage trainer. He's very German in his out look and likes a lot more contact than I do and isn't afraid to tell me that he doesn't think an awful lot of my riding and this is not doing alot for my fragile confidence. In fact today when I saw him come out to teach in the school I almost went home without riding. But I love riding Xaile too much for that and I can't allow myself to be that pathetic.
So I got Xaile ready and lunged him till they were gone. He worked nicely but a little lacking in activity. I really wanted to get behind him and chase him a bit but I was being watched. As soon as they were gone I got on.
At first he was quite resistant. He was hanging on to the right side of the bit again, but after lots of transitions and lots of difference sized circles and changes of rein I got some nice work out of him and felt him soften and work his back. I love my horse.
27th July
The holding himself behind the bit thing only seems to happen on the lunge. He now seems keen to take the bit forward and down when ridden. Any hints on how to sort it on the lunge?
Lunged first as normal and he was full of light and life, just how I like him. Lots of transitions. For once better on the right rein than left. Very strange. I was finding it easier to keep him straight which is good. The walk to canter transitions were good because he was in a lovely forward thinking mood. The downwards ones weren't so good. Walk was toooooooooooo boring, he wanted to zoom around.
Ridden he seemed a little heavy on the forehand, but after a little gallop to get him thinking forwards we had some lovely work.
Interestingly I was just thinking about the struggle I had to get his head straight when he arrived, and I haven't thought about it for ages, I wonder when we conquered that?
He was a little wobbly with his steering at first, drifting across the school, but I think I was being a bit lazy with my riding. When I really thought about sitting straight and square and looking where I wanted to go we sorted it. Fascinating how sensitive he is. Clover couldn't care less where I look and just follows my legs and hands, Xaile is so responsive to my whole body.
Ooh and this is where Xaile and Obelisco will live from Jan next year when we move into our new house. I'm very VERY excited about the boys being at home.
Lunged first as normal and he was full of light and life, just how I like him. Lots of transitions. For once better on the right rein than left. Very strange. I was finding it easier to keep him straight which is good. The walk to canter transitions were good because he was in a lovely forward thinking mood. The downwards ones weren't so good. Walk was toooooooooooo boring, he wanted to zoom around.
Ridden he seemed a little heavy on the forehand, but after a little gallop to get him thinking forwards we had some lovely work.
Interestingly I was just thinking about the struggle I had to get his head straight when he arrived, and I haven't thought about it for ages, I wonder when we conquered that?
He was a little wobbly with his steering at first, drifting across the school, but I think I was being a bit lazy with my riding. When I really thought about sitting straight and square and looking where I wanted to go we sorted it. Fascinating how sensitive he is. Clover couldn't care less where I look and just follows my legs and hands, Xaile is so responsive to my whole body.
Ooh and this is where Xaile and Obelisco will live from Jan next year when we move into our new house. I'm very VERY excited about the boys being at home.
27th July
I have been thinking. I have always been a strong believer in 'long and low' BUT!!! It doesn't seem to be right for Xaile.
When I bought him he had a great top line but his trot was a typical Luso sewing machine trot.
I had him gelded and he had a slightly rough journey and lost a lot of condition. He arrived in quite light condition, but he still had a good neck on him. He still had the sewing machine trot.
I got him home and worked him how he wanted to be worked for a few weeks- head high and hurried, sewing machine trot, in his Portuguese pelham. I had the chiropracter look at him and she said that he was astonishing in that he had almost no tension in his muscles.
I then moved him into a snaffle and encouraged him to work long and low. I assumed that this would work wonders and rebuild his neck. It hasn't. It has improved the trot alot and he is much straighter but It has also put him on his forehand. I have been put under a lot of pressure to do it this way at my yard. Freddie, I think, thinks I'm mad, and I think is just waiting for me to realise that I'm wrong.
The more I have thought about it the more I think that long and low is not right for Xaile. I'm ending up with him on his forehand and not getting any more top line. I also suspect that if the chiro looked at him again she'd find tension everywhere.
The one thing that makes me question this is that Marcia wants me to work him long and low and I LOVE the way the horses she rides go- they're the best around in my opinion. But she is a much better rider than me and has much much quicker reactions so is probably better able to achieve the right balance.
So from today onwards I have decided that I'll be working him a lot more like he would be in Portugal. I'm going to stick with the snaffle and still encourage him to stretch down periodically, but for the majority of our work I'm going to allow a much more upright outline.
This is getting a bit waffly but I think where he's not improving is just in front of his withers and I think this is due to the angle I'm putting his neck at. It'll be interesting to see if what I do helps.
The one thing that makes me question this is that Marcia wants me to work him long and low and I LOVE the way the horses she rides go- they're the best around in my opinion. But she is a much better rider than me and has much much quicker reactions so is probably better able to achieve the right balance.
So from today onwards I have decided that I'll be working him a lot more like he would be in Portugal. I'm going to stick with the snaffle and still encourage him to stretch down periodically, but for the majority of our work I'm going to allow a much more upright outline.
This is getting a bit waffly but I think where he's not improving is just in front of his withers and I think this is due to the angle I'm putting his neck at. It'll be interesting to see if what I do helps.
28th July
Still not entirely sure where I am at the moment with my thinking on the situation. What I do know is that he's getting more on his fore hand, and while I can get him back with transitions etc (actually the best seems to be between more and less trot) this also raises his head.
Anyway I only lunged today as my back still a bit sore I'm trying to ride a little less till it's all recovered.
As ever we started without side reins. As ever he had a good canter round to get the excess energy out. When I can get him to do polite quick transitions between walk and trot we start work. Today I asked him to give me a slow bouncy trot on a small circle round me and the for a bigger longer trot at the end of the lunge line. We did quite a bit of this and it seemed to get him working really actively and striding out really well. He was also working in a really nice natural outline and I wish I'd taken a picture, but I forgot I'd got my camera with me till I'd put the side reins on.
My theory, which may well be incorrect, with the side reins is to help him understand a consistant contact. My hands clearly aren't as consistent as I hoped (according to the trainer anyway) and he's still quite wobbly and up and down and snaky when we start work. He seems to be appreciating the stillness of the side reins and today was working nicely into the outside rein, which was the idea. Like we did without the side reins we did big and little circles and varied the trot. We also did quite a few walk to canter transitions which he enjoys and lift him off his forehand and get a nice bounce in his stride.
By the end he was working as nicely on the lunge as I have seen him. Forward, consistent and not too heavy on the forehand.
It was hard taking photos while lunging him especially as I couldn't hold the whip as well as the camera so I positioned myself a little behind him to keep him moving forwards so some of them have come out at a bit of an odd angle. Anyway I've posted them in the order that I took them so hopefully you'll see some improvement in his work.
One thing while I'm thinking about it. To ride he's much easier on the right rein, but when we get it right on the left rein it's better than the right rein. It's the opposite on the lunge. He really doesn't like going on the right rein and when I ask him to halt I have to be very careful where I stand so that he doesn't turn and go the otherway, but when I get him going it's better than the left rein.
I do find it all so interesting.
Anyway I only lunged today as my back still a bit sore I'm trying to ride a little less till it's all recovered.
As ever we started without side reins. As ever he had a good canter round to get the excess energy out. When I can get him to do polite quick transitions between walk and trot we start work. Today I asked him to give me a slow bouncy trot on a small circle round me and the for a bigger longer trot at the end of the lunge line. We did quite a bit of this and it seemed to get him working really actively and striding out really well. He was also working in a really nice natural outline and I wish I'd taken a picture, but I forgot I'd got my camera with me till I'd put the side reins on.
My theory, which may well be incorrect, with the side reins is to help him understand a consistant contact. My hands clearly aren't as consistent as I hoped (according to the trainer anyway) and he's still quite wobbly and up and down and snaky when we start work. He seems to be appreciating the stillness of the side reins and today was working nicely into the outside rein, which was the idea. Like we did without the side reins we did big and little circles and varied the trot. We also did quite a few walk to canter transitions which he enjoys and lift him off his forehand and get a nice bounce in his stride.
By the end he was working as nicely on the lunge as I have seen him. Forward, consistent and not too heavy on the forehand.
It was hard taking photos while lunging him especially as I couldn't hold the whip as well as the camera so I positioned myself a little behind him to keep him moving forwards so some of them have come out at a bit of an odd angle. Anyway I've posted them in the order that I took them so hopefully you'll see some improvement in his work.
One thing while I'm thinking about it. To ride he's much easier on the right rein, but when we get it right on the left rein it's better than the right rein. It's the opposite on the lunge. He really doesn't like going on the right rein and when I ask him to halt I have to be very careful where I stand so that he doesn't turn and go the otherway, but when I get him going it's better than the left rein.
I do find it all so interesting.
10th August
Oh dear getting behind again.
I've been submerged with photos from the BAPSH show and selling Clover (fingers crossed as he's being vetted tomorrow morning). As a result my riding time with Xaile has been severely limited.
However on Friday I decided I had spent enough time staring at the computer screen and went off to play with Xaile. I decided as he hadn't been ridden since wednesday week it would be polite to just lunge him. He was rather wild to start with and there was rather a lot of screaming for Clover who was still in the field.
So to start with I let him have a bit of a hooley to get it out of his system. Then we did lots of transitions within trot and big and little circles and I soon had him concentrating. He worked nice and consistently into the side reins this time which is promising.
I then went up and rode him on Sunday after a quick spin on the lunge (again to get the hooleying done). He was a little stiff not having worked seriously for a while and also didn't seem to think there was any reason why he should work when he could be out in the field. So we had a little argument about concentrating and then got on with it. I started off doing lots transitions but he was very stiff against my right leg and not taking a contact in the left rein. So we went back to walk and did circles with quarters in and out. Then we did some very small circles into shoulder in. At first all he did was bend his neck so I concentrated very hard on how I was sitting and asking for as little bend as possible and as a result we got lots more angle and he began to soften his right side. We then did the same in trot and it was ver promising.
Then we saw a friend jumping in the paddock. Really tiny jumps. All less than a foot. We watched for a little bit and then I couldn't resist it any longer and we went to the paddock. First we walked around the paddock looking at the fillers and barrels and planks and things that I would expect a young horse to find scary but he was totally unphased. So we walked over a few poles. Then we walked over some raised poles then we trotted over a few poles and then the tiny jumps and cross poles. He was such a star and very bold. Didn't really bother to jump, but then why should he when he could step over them. I was thrilled with his attitude to it.
Today I thought I'd give him another go over a 'proper' jump. Last time I tried he wasn't very good at it and tried to get over by elevating his trot and didn't mind crashing through. This time I was really pleased that he seemed quite up for it and was jumping properly and even making quite a nice shape over them. We only did a few as it's clearly quite tiring for him, and by the time we thought about videoing it he was tired and knocked the first one.
I've been submerged with photos from the BAPSH show and selling Clover (fingers crossed as he's being vetted tomorrow morning). As a result my riding time with Xaile has been severely limited.
However on Friday I decided I had spent enough time staring at the computer screen and went off to play with Xaile. I decided as he hadn't been ridden since wednesday week it would be polite to just lunge him. He was rather wild to start with and there was rather a lot of screaming for Clover who was still in the field.
So to start with I let him have a bit of a hooley to get it out of his system. Then we did lots of transitions within trot and big and little circles and I soon had him concentrating. He worked nice and consistently into the side reins this time which is promising.
I then went up and rode him on Sunday after a quick spin on the lunge (again to get the hooleying done). He was a little stiff not having worked seriously for a while and also didn't seem to think there was any reason why he should work when he could be out in the field. So we had a little argument about concentrating and then got on with it. I started off doing lots transitions but he was very stiff against my right leg and not taking a contact in the left rein. So we went back to walk and did circles with quarters in and out. Then we did some very small circles into shoulder in. At first all he did was bend his neck so I concentrated very hard on how I was sitting and asking for as little bend as possible and as a result we got lots more angle and he began to soften his right side. We then did the same in trot and it was ver promising.
Then we saw a friend jumping in the paddock. Really tiny jumps. All less than a foot. We watched for a little bit and then I couldn't resist it any longer and we went to the paddock. First we walked around the paddock looking at the fillers and barrels and planks and things that I would expect a young horse to find scary but he was totally unphased. So we walked over a few poles. Then we walked over some raised poles then we trotted over a few poles and then the tiny jumps and cross poles. He was such a star and very bold. Didn't really bother to jump, but then why should he when he could step over them. I was thrilled with his attitude to it.
Today I thought I'd give him another go over a 'proper' jump. Last time I tried he wasn't very good at it and tried to get over by elevating his trot and didn't mind crashing through. This time I was really pleased that he seemed quite up for it and was jumping properly and even making quite a nice shape over them. We only did a few as it's clearly quite tiring for him, and by the time we thought about videoing it he was tired and knocked the first one.
16th August
Thursday wasn't a great ride. I hate riding when I'm not in the right mood, but I've been so stressed about the photographs that I decided that I wasn't ever going to be in the right mood and we both needed the exercise. He didn't do anything dreadful, but he was very inconsistent in his head and we just weren't together. Though he's such a pleasure to be with and work it still made me feel better about the world but I don't think it was very constructive.
I bought a new saddle last week for Xaile and it arrived on Friday. I've been a bit worried about the fit of his Zaldi recently as it's been lifting up at the back when I've been lunging him and not sitting terribly well when he's not moving. He's changing shape a lot at the moment, and while I've seriously been considering a Vogue (and still am) I haven't made my mind up yet. So I've gone for an Isabell Werth Wintec. The logic I used is that they have very flat pannels and he has a flat back and that they have set back stirrup bars which can only help my wayard legs.
The saddle fits beautifully and while it is not as comfy for me as the Zaldi I have a feeling I'm sitting better in it and I seem to be able to communicate with him better through it so that's all good.
I've also been thinking about how I ride him and where we're going. I think I've been being overly influenced by the riding at my yard (and by continuously being told to ride with my hands lower and wider). Anyway today I was strict with myself. I decided that I would insist that he took a contact in the outside rein and was soft in the inside rein, I did this by keeping my outside hand as still and consistent as possible and gently giving and taking with the inside hand and steering entirely with my seat. I also was thinking about Henriquet 'On Dressage' where he says to keep the outside hand a little higher to help keep him off the forehand and control the quarters and the inside hand a little lower to stop his inside shoulder falling in (a problem we've been having). I was also very tough with myself about making sure I was turing my body in the way I wanted to go. And guess what? He went BRILLIANTLY I don't know if it was the saddle or me having been thinking or just being in a better mood, but what ever it was it was wonderful. Interestingly, though we didn't work for very long as it had gone so well, the little boy was exhausted, I suppose his brain was tired with being made to work.
I bought a new saddle last week for Xaile and it arrived on Friday. I've been a bit worried about the fit of his Zaldi recently as it's been lifting up at the back when I've been lunging him and not sitting terribly well when he's not moving. He's changing shape a lot at the moment, and while I've seriously been considering a Vogue (and still am) I haven't made my mind up yet. So I've gone for an Isabell Werth Wintec. The logic I used is that they have very flat pannels and he has a flat back and that they have set back stirrup bars which can only help my wayard legs.
The saddle fits beautifully and while it is not as comfy for me as the Zaldi I have a feeling I'm sitting better in it and I seem to be able to communicate with him better through it so that's all good.
I've also been thinking about how I ride him and where we're going. I think I've been being overly influenced by the riding at my yard (and by continuously being told to ride with my hands lower and wider). Anyway today I was strict with myself. I decided that I would insist that he took a contact in the outside rein and was soft in the inside rein, I did this by keeping my outside hand as still and consistent as possible and gently giving and taking with the inside hand and steering entirely with my seat. I also was thinking about Henriquet 'On Dressage' where he says to keep the outside hand a little higher to help keep him off the forehand and control the quarters and the inside hand a little lower to stop his inside shoulder falling in (a problem we've been having). I was also very tough with myself about making sure I was turing my body in the way I wanted to go. And guess what? He went BRILLIANTLY I don't know if it was the saddle or me having been thinking or just being in a better mood, but what ever it was it was wonderful. Interestingly, though we didn't work for very long as it had gone so well, the little boy was exhausted, I suppose his brain was tired with being made to work.
17th August
Well after yesterdays truly wonderful session today could never quite live up to expectations I think. And I was tired and he was tired. It wasn't awful but neither of us had our hearts totally in it. I didn't enjoy myself cos there were people around watching who I don't like to have watching. He wasn't as consistent as yesterday, but thinking about it rationally it was a lot better than a few weeks ago. I think it was my fault it wasn't great as I expected to get on where we left off yesterday, but I made an enormous effort yesterday to ride as well as I could and I don't think I did such a great job today.
20th August
Well we had a bit of a break through yesterday from my point of view. I've developed a real hatred of riding in the school when they yard manager and her dressage boy friend are in there too as I imagine I can feel critical unfriendly eyes picking up everything Xaile and I do wrong. Anyway today they were in there (and someone else so it was rather busy!) but I coped and just concentrated on what I was doing and Xaile was wonderful again like on Sunday. My current theory seems to be working as by the end he happily took the contact right down to the ground lovely and softly, clever boy.
At the moment he's the most consisent at trot as in walk he's constantly expecting a transition to trot and he's not strong enough to work well for very long in canter, though this is coming on well at the moment. He's also much much better on the right rein and somehow we always end up on the right rein so today I'm going to make a real effort to remember the left rein.
At the moment he's the most consisent at trot as in walk he's constantly expecting a transition to trot and he's not strong enough to work well for very long in canter, though this is coming on well at the moment. He's also much much better on the right rein and somehow we always end up on the right rein so today I'm going to make a real effort to remember the left rein.
22nd August
24th August
Well I've been pondering something for a while. I've been wanting to try him back in a double bridle. I have a horrible feeling I'll get told off by the yard if I'm spotted, but to be honest he's my horse and it's not really any of their business.
None the less I have been, rather pathetically, waiting for a day when none of them are around to put my plan into action. Today was the day. I refitted the bridle as I feel that I may have had the weymouth too high when I'd fitted it before. It was interesting. When I first put it on he was very chompy and fiddly with it, but when I got the ft right he settled to it completely.
As always I lunged him before riding him, and it's hard to explain exactly what I mean but he looked more of a horse today. I don't know if it is that he's finally muscling up nicely, or if it was that the bridle meant that he carried himself better.
When I got on I made a real effort to put myself in the saddle better and I would have altered my stirrups but I had forgotten to change the leathers for longer ones. But given how sore I am now I think I had an affect.
He started off a bit giraffe like in walk. Which was odd as I had no contact at all and don't see how it was different from lunging as far as him mouth was concerned. I tied the curb rein up on his neck and rode off the snaffle today. Next time I'll take a bit of contact on the curb as well. Anyway once he'd settled a bit we did a few trot circles to get him thinking forwards. Then back to walk. Walk is our worst pace at the moment, so I thought the time had come to see if I couldn't get it softer and more consistent. I think the problem has stemmed from the fact that I've been doing an awful lot of walk/trot transitions and as a result he's always expecting a transition and as a result not concentrating on what he's doing at walk. So we walked lots today. Thinking about each step. I had him do shoulder in and then travers alternating down the long sides with a 10m cirle at each end and straight down the short sides. Well it made the most enormous difference and I think he enjoyed it. I have a suspision that he just finds walking very boring so fidgets, and when he was doing something that occupied his brain he worked much better. The trot also seemed improved by this work.
I found that the double bridle, despite the fact that I wasn't using the curb made everything more accurate. It was as if he was working harder because of it. It also seemed that he was less on his forehand. The strangest thing that I found was that it was easier to vary his trot. Normally I find it hard to get transitions within trot and today it was much easier.
I think that in future that I'll try to use the double a few times a week. Obviously he needs to go in the snaffle for dressage competitions, and so I'll carry on using that most of the time, but I think he prefers working in the double. It is afterall what he is used to. So I think a combination of the two can only be a good thing.
None the less I have been, rather pathetically, waiting for a day when none of them are around to put my plan into action. Today was the day. I refitted the bridle as I feel that I may have had the weymouth too high when I'd fitted it before. It was interesting. When I first put it on he was very chompy and fiddly with it, but when I got the ft right he settled to it completely.
As always I lunged him before riding him, and it's hard to explain exactly what I mean but he looked more of a horse today. I don't know if it is that he's finally muscling up nicely, or if it was that the bridle meant that he carried himself better.
When I got on I made a real effort to put myself in the saddle better and I would have altered my stirrups but I had forgotten to change the leathers for longer ones. But given how sore I am now I think I had an affect.
He started off a bit giraffe like in walk. Which was odd as I had no contact at all and don't see how it was different from lunging as far as him mouth was concerned. I tied the curb rein up on his neck and rode off the snaffle today. Next time I'll take a bit of contact on the curb as well. Anyway once he'd settled a bit we did a few trot circles to get him thinking forwards. Then back to walk. Walk is our worst pace at the moment, so I thought the time had come to see if I couldn't get it softer and more consistent. I think the problem has stemmed from the fact that I've been doing an awful lot of walk/trot transitions and as a result he's always expecting a transition and as a result not concentrating on what he's doing at walk. So we walked lots today. Thinking about each step. I had him do shoulder in and then travers alternating down the long sides with a 10m cirle at each end and straight down the short sides. Well it made the most enormous difference and I think he enjoyed it. I have a suspision that he just finds walking very boring so fidgets, and when he was doing something that occupied his brain he worked much better. The trot also seemed improved by this work.
I found that the double bridle, despite the fact that I wasn't using the curb made everything more accurate. It was as if he was working harder because of it. It also seemed that he was less on his forehand. The strangest thing that I found was that it was easier to vary his trot. Normally I find it hard to get transitions within trot and today it was much easier.
I think that in future that I'll try to use the double a few times a week. Obviously he needs to go in the snaffle for dressage competitions, and so I'll carry on using that most of the time, but I think he prefers working in the double. It is afterall what he is used to. So I think a combination of the two can only be a good thing.
26th August
So- back in the snaffle yesterday.
We started with an excellent lunging session. Mainly concentrating on small circles in a more collected trot and bigger circles in a big trot. It's fascinating to watch this work. To start with he's always a bit head in the air and eel like, bending in any direction. After a few smaller circles he relaxes down more and bends with the circle. We're having a slight problem with his canter on the lunge at the moment, in that he seems to find it hard to keep going for more than a couple of circles. I can't decide whether I'm right to ask for a couple and then bring him back to trot for a circle then ask again, or if I should be insisting that he keeps going longer? It doesn't seem to be improving much at the moment, so I might try asking him to keep going a bit longer today. I think the problem is that in asking him to go longer and lower generally I have ended up putting him on his forehand and as a result he finds cantering a circle hard, but I'm not sure?
Then we did some in hand Spanish Walk, we've not done this for about a month, and the improvement was amazing!! I think it shows how much strnger his back must be as he was really lifting his shoulders. It was rather impressive.
For our ridden work I did something I've been meaning to do for ages. I've been aware that his walk isn't great for a while. It's terribly fidgety and inconsistent. The day before yesterday I got good improvements by doing lateral work. Yesterday I decided that the ridden schooling would only be in walk so that he wouldn't constantly be waiting for a transition. I'm pleased to say this worked very well. We started off with long reins and the loosest of contacts. I concentrated on controling him entirely with my seat and legs and only giving very slight indirect rein aids. This made me realise that when I've tried this before I've not been trying hard enough. This time we went everywhere I wanted however my muscles hurt a lot! It was extremely satisfying though. I tried to be as subtle as I could with the aids and by the end apparently they were fairly invisble.
Then I thought we'd have a play with ridden Spanish Walk. I tried it with two sticks and bore in mind what Issywizz said about not leaning forwards. It was great with the off fore, but the near fore he was just bringing his knee up and not stretching the leg out. I discovered that I could get him to do it just by holding the whips so he knew what was expected of him and lightening my seat bone on the side I wanted lifting and a squeeze with my opposite leg. The only problem we had was when he felt he'd done enough he stopped dead and refused to move, and when I ended up having to use my legs more stongly than I would normally he had a little bunny hop, but it got him moving again and he gave me a couple more nice steps and then we called it a day. I think he enjoyed it though, and the non-horsey YO's husband who'd been watching came up to say how much fun it looked like he was having.
We started with an excellent lunging session. Mainly concentrating on small circles in a more collected trot and bigger circles in a big trot. It's fascinating to watch this work. To start with he's always a bit head in the air and eel like, bending in any direction. After a few smaller circles he relaxes down more and bends with the circle. We're having a slight problem with his canter on the lunge at the moment, in that he seems to find it hard to keep going for more than a couple of circles. I can't decide whether I'm right to ask for a couple and then bring him back to trot for a circle then ask again, or if I should be insisting that he keeps going longer? It doesn't seem to be improving much at the moment, so I might try asking him to keep going a bit longer today. I think the problem is that in asking him to go longer and lower generally I have ended up putting him on his forehand and as a result he finds cantering a circle hard, but I'm not sure?
Then we did some in hand Spanish Walk, we've not done this for about a month, and the improvement was amazing!! I think it shows how much strnger his back must be as he was really lifting his shoulders. It was rather impressive.
For our ridden work I did something I've been meaning to do for ages. I've been aware that his walk isn't great for a while. It's terribly fidgety and inconsistent. The day before yesterday I got good improvements by doing lateral work. Yesterday I decided that the ridden schooling would only be in walk so that he wouldn't constantly be waiting for a transition. I'm pleased to say this worked very well. We started off with long reins and the loosest of contacts. I concentrated on controling him entirely with my seat and legs and only giving very slight indirect rein aids. This made me realise that when I've tried this before I've not been trying hard enough. This time we went everywhere I wanted however my muscles hurt a lot! It was extremely satisfying though. I tried to be as subtle as I could with the aids and by the end apparently they were fairly invisble.
Then I thought we'd have a play with ridden Spanish Walk. I tried it with two sticks and bore in mind what Issywizz said about not leaning forwards. It was great with the off fore, but the near fore he was just bringing his knee up and not stretching the leg out. I discovered that I could get him to do it just by holding the whips so he knew what was expected of him and lightening my seat bone on the side I wanted lifting and a squeeze with my opposite leg. The only problem we had was when he felt he'd done enough he stopped dead and refused to move, and when I ended up having to use my legs more stongly than I would normally he had a little bunny hop, but it got him moving again and he gave me a couple more nice steps and then we called it a day. I think he enjoyed it though, and the non-horsey YO's husband who'd been watching came up to say how much fun it looked like he was having.
27th August
Xaile was very bored today as he didn't get turned out. So I thought I'd give him a treat and instead of boring schooling I lunged him over jumps. Suddenly we have no problem maintaining canter on the lunge. He was fantastic. He's developing really rather a good jump.
First I cantered him over some poles, a stride appart, then I raised one side of them to about a foot and cantered him through both ways. Then I raised the other side too and sent him through. He really enjoys it and I don't even have to direct him towards them I just keep the lunge line out of the way (I'd do it loose if I could but I know he'd roll and the sand is covered in vaseline and almost impossible to get out of their manes). Then I pulled two together to a bounce. The first time through he crashed the bounce and for the first time ever reacted to knocking one down- he galloped around bucking and farting, it was very funny. The second time he jumped really carefully so maybe he's really begining to understand that the idea is not to knock them.
Then I put a single upright up at about 2' and he flew it, in fact he took off rather early and really had to stretch to get over it, but he did. This meant that the second time I could really see him thinking about where to take off and it was perfect. Then I put the upright jump block onto one on its side which took it over my waist height and again he flew it. Landed bucking and farting again.
Then to cool him down and calm him down I put it back to very small and sent him over a few times in trot. Then I walked him for a while as he'd got quite hot.
It was really lovely to see him having so much fun. I don't think I'd realised that he was getting a bit bored with schooling. I wish I could take him out for a hack, but I need company and noone much hacks on my yard and I'm not brave enough to go out on the big road by myself.
Anyway I put a very very happy little boy back in his stable today and I resolve to let him jump at least once a week in future. I wish I was a bit lighter (I'm working on it!!) cos I'd love to do a bit of show jumping on him, but I do think I'm too heavy for that.
First I cantered him over some poles, a stride appart, then I raised one side of them to about a foot and cantered him through both ways. Then I raised the other side too and sent him through. He really enjoys it and I don't even have to direct him towards them I just keep the lunge line out of the way (I'd do it loose if I could but I know he'd roll and the sand is covered in vaseline and almost impossible to get out of their manes). Then I pulled two together to a bounce. The first time through he crashed the bounce and for the first time ever reacted to knocking one down- he galloped around bucking and farting, it was very funny. The second time he jumped really carefully so maybe he's really begining to understand that the idea is not to knock them.
Then I put a single upright up at about 2' and he flew it, in fact he took off rather early and really had to stretch to get over it, but he did. This meant that the second time I could really see him thinking about where to take off and it was perfect. Then I put the upright jump block onto one on its side which took it over my waist height and again he flew it. Landed bucking and farting again.
Then to cool him down and calm him down I put it back to very small and sent him over a few times in trot. Then I walked him for a while as he'd got quite hot.
It was really lovely to see him having so much fun. I don't think I'd realised that he was getting a bit bored with schooling. I wish I could take him out for a hack, but I need company and noone much hacks on my yard and I'm not brave enough to go out on the big road by myself.
Anyway I put a very very happy little boy back in his stable today and I resolve to let him jump at least once a week in future. I wish I was a bit lighter (I'm working on it!!) cos I'd love to do a bit of show jumping on him, but I do think I'm too heavy for that.
6th September
On Wednesday 2nd we had a really fantastic lesson with Marcia.
I don't think she was overly impressed with us to start with, apparently we have been zooming around a 100 mph. Now I was totally unaware of this. Well what a revelation. As soon as I slowed my seat down I was able use my legs and everything became so much easier.
I then asked Marcia to ride him and WOW! He looked like a real Luso. She had him really engaging his quarters and really bending his hocks, it was a real moment. She had her hands much lower than I have been, on her thighs, to start with and as he balanced himself she raised her hands. As he got more balanced and on his hocks he began to naturally lengthen his stride which was lovely to see. I think that she finds my slow reactions very frustrating.
Due to all the fuss over Lisco I haven't had the time or energy to ride again till today. And while I know he wasn't going as well for me as he was for Marcia it was still completely different. I concentrated on going slowly and using my legs. He felt much bouncier and better generally, I don't think he lengthened his stride like he did for M but it was still much better, also not so badly on the forehand. And his canter was remarkaly changed, which is fantastic given we didn't even work on it in the lesson, but I applied the same ideas from the walk and trot from the lesson and I got a so much better balanced canter than I have had for ages.
I don't think she was overly impressed with us to start with, apparently we have been zooming around a 100 mph. Now I was totally unaware of this. Well what a revelation. As soon as I slowed my seat down I was able use my legs and everything became so much easier.
I then asked Marcia to ride him and WOW! He looked like a real Luso. She had him really engaging his quarters and really bending his hocks, it was a real moment. She had her hands much lower than I have been, on her thighs, to start with and as he balanced himself she raised her hands. As he got more balanced and on his hocks he began to naturally lengthen his stride which was lovely to see. I think that she finds my slow reactions very frustrating.
Due to all the fuss over Lisco I haven't had the time or energy to ride again till today. And while I know he wasn't going as well for me as he was for Marcia it was still completely different. I concentrated on going slowly and using my legs. He felt much bouncier and better generally, I don't think he lengthened his stride like he did for M but it was still much better, also not so badly on the forehand. And his canter was remarkaly changed, which is fantastic given we didn't even work on it in the lesson, but I applied the same ideas from the walk and trot from the lesson and I got a so much better balanced canter than I have had for ages.
13th September
On Thursday we had our first ride in the new school. It's not great, long wood shavings, and very new. The going is very deep and I suspect a bit slippery. Xaile found it hard work, but it did have the benefit of slowing him down. He found it hard to concentrate in the new place as well. So it wasn't the best session, but he didn't go too badly given the circumstances. I found it hard to bend him round my inside leg as he wanted to keep an eye on the sheep in the field on one side of the school and the chickens on the otherside. Hopefully he'll settle and get used to the surface.
On Friday we went for WONDERFUL hack. It's an absolute age since I went out hacking for hours. Noone liked it at my previous yard and I'm too much of a wimp to go by myself.
My new yard backs on to a friend (with Andalusian)'s yard. So she took me out to show me the country. Xaile and I loved it.
We wandered through various pretty villages, climbed a very steep hill up to the Ridgeway, poor little boy got slower and slower as we went up, but I think doing it regularly will do him so much good. Then we trotted along the Ridgeway, the views were wonderful and anoyingly I didn't have my camera, and I got off to walk him down as it was very steep and I think he'd better do it by himself the first few times. Then we paddled in some old cress beds (no excuse to be afraid of puddles any more). Then the best bit was galloping across a huuuuuuuge field. It was the first time I really let him rip and he's seriously fast. Thank goodness he's also very controllable.
I put a very happy boy to bed.
It was hard work though, so I gave him yesterday off.
On Friday we went for WONDERFUL hack. It's an absolute age since I went out hacking for hours. Noone liked it at my previous yard and I'm too much of a wimp to go by myself.
My new yard backs on to a friend (with Andalusian)'s yard. So she took me out to show me the country. Xaile and I loved it.
We wandered through various pretty villages, climbed a very steep hill up to the Ridgeway, poor little boy got slower and slower as we went up, but I think doing it regularly will do him so much good. Then we trotted along the Ridgeway, the views were wonderful and anoyingly I didn't have my camera, and I got off to walk him down as it was very steep and I think he'd better do it by himself the first few times. Then we paddled in some old cress beds (no excuse to be afraid of puddles any more). Then the best bit was galloping across a huuuuuuuge field. It was the first time I really let him rip and he's seriously fast. Thank goodness he's also very controllable.
I put a very happy boy to bed.
It was hard work though, so I gave him yesterday off.
15th September
On Monday I took Xaile to a lovely neighbour's seriously lovely school. He's never been there before and she has a side with mirrors!!!! At first he was totally terrified so I got off and let him loose to go and have a look. It took him ages to get the guts up to get close, and in the end wouldn't go till I walked with him. When he got there he fell in love with his own reflection and couldn't be parted from it (and even went as far as belly slapping which I've not seen him do before).
I then caught him and did some inhand work with him to help him concentrate, this worked, and while the work he did wasn't great it really helped him to relax. My friend (who's school it is) is interested in the work of a Canadian NH chap (sorry can't remember his name) who says that when their spines are inverted they produce a lot more adrenaline and if you can get them to drop their heads it helps them to relax, this was certainly the case this time.
Once he was calm I got on (eventually, I'm having real problems getting him to stand still for me to get on, he's such a fidget). He didn't work well, as I couldn't get him to concentrate, but at least he worked, and it was better than our last session.
Today we went for another lovely hack (I may be turning into a happy hacker). It was only walk and trot as we had a friend of a friend with us who didn't want to go fast. But it was very hilly and I could really feel him having to work. I held may hands as still and steady as possible, like side reins (interestingly both Freddie and Marcia are very keen on this phrase). And quickly he settled to quite a stil head carriage. I concentrated on controlling the speed of his walk with my seat, with quite a lot of sucess.
Tomorrow we have a lesson with Marcia- WOHOO- can't wait.
Once he was calm I got on (eventually, I'm having real problems getting him to stand still for me to get on, he's such a fidget). He didn't work well, as I couldn't get him to concentrate, but at least he worked, and it was better than our last session.
Today we went for another lovely hack (I may be turning into a happy hacker). It was only walk and trot as we had a friend of a friend with us who didn't want to go fast. But it was very hilly and I could really feel him having to work. I held may hands as still and steady as possible, like side reins (interestingly both Freddie and Marcia are very keen on this phrase). And quickly he settled to quite a stil head carriage. I concentrated on controlling the speed of his walk with my seat, with quite a lot of sucess.
Tomorrow we have a lesson with Marcia- WOHOO- can't wait.
17th September
Marcia was pleased with how much condition he has put on. It's such a relief being at a yard where they do as you ask!
She rode first. She says that he's going to be lovely and just doesn't understand what's wanted of him at the moment. Which is hardly surprising, in Jan he was being trained to bull fight, then he went to Freddie's for 3 months, then came to me, and I've not been at all consisten with him as I've had trouble deciding how to approach his training.
She just worked on keeping him consistent in rhythm and head carriage. It was fascinating to watch. She did hardly any transitions, just walked for ages till he was working well at walk, then the same in trot, then canter.
I then got on and had a go at doing the same. I think I'm getting quicker at catching him before he does something wrong which is good and will help him understand what I want from him. She had me hold my hands much much lower than I hav been till now, my outside one sometimes on my knee to hold his outside shoulder. She said it was very important to keep the outside one absolutely consistent. The inside one was used to control the angle of bend. Like last time I had to slow his trot with my seat so I could use my legs to keep him straighter, I think this was better than last time.
Suddenly he got tired, not really surprising as we'd worked his brain hard. It was very funny I just totally lost all steering and went shooting sideways down the length of the 60m school! The problem was I was giggling so hard at the situation I found it very hard to get him back under control. This happened a couple of times, and he's such an obliging horse that we decided not to push him as he'd clearly reached his comfortable limit so after one last good circle we called it a day.
One last thing - he was much much more sensible to lead to Vicki's school than last time, walked really quite relaxedly and only one spook- much better than the prancing dancing idiot I've had the last few times.
She rode first. She says that he's going to be lovely and just doesn't understand what's wanted of him at the moment. Which is hardly surprising, in Jan he was being trained to bull fight, then he went to Freddie's for 3 months, then came to me, and I've not been at all consisten with him as I've had trouble deciding how to approach his training.
She just worked on keeping him consistent in rhythm and head carriage. It was fascinating to watch. She did hardly any transitions, just walked for ages till he was working well at walk, then the same in trot, then canter.
I then got on and had a go at doing the same. I think I'm getting quicker at catching him before he does something wrong which is good and will help him understand what I want from him. She had me hold my hands much much lower than I hav been till now, my outside one sometimes on my knee to hold his outside shoulder. She said it was very important to keep the outside one absolutely consistent. The inside one was used to control the angle of bend. Like last time I had to slow his trot with my seat so I could use my legs to keep him straighter, I think this was better than last time.
Suddenly he got tired, not really surprising as we'd worked his brain hard. It was very funny I just totally lost all steering and went shooting sideways down the length of the 60m school! The problem was I was giggling so hard at the situation I found it very hard to get him back under control. This happened a couple of times, and he's such an obliging horse that we decided not to push him as he'd clearly reached his comfortable limit so after one last good circle we called it a day.
One last thing - he was much much more sensible to lead to Vicki's school than last time, walked really quite relaxedly and only one spook- much better than the prancing dancing idiot I've had the last few times.


























"I held may hands as still and steady as possible, like side reins (interestingly both Freddie and Marcia are very keen on this phrase)."
ReplyDeletenow this is interesting. My RI always makes the point that molly is better lunged as the side reins don't move...has made me think long and hard about my hands! and of course they're right, a steady contact is required not all over (mine in trot are DREADFUL)